Thursday, September 10, 2009

I believe in America

In my mind I find that I think America is lazy, but when I think about it more and more, I find that what I am saying is a lie. America is not lazy it is just that people rely more and more on technology. Though I always wonder what is it that makes America so great that people keep coming here. As Colin Powell said,

"My family’s story is a common one that has been told by millions of Americans. We are a land of immigrants: A nation that has been touched by every nation and we, in turn, touch every nation. And we are touched not just by immigrants but by the visitors who come to America and return home to tell of their experiences.

I believe that our greatest strength in dealing with the world is the openness of our society and the welcoming nature of our people. A good stay in our country is the best public diplomacy tool we have."

I guess that would be the simplest way to answer this, and as he says later on our "openness is also our vulnerability" which was a true fact after 9/11

"bless their souls"

after that we showed fear to others, to others that were coming to our country they came to the conclusion that America was no longer an open country. Driven by fear America just became paranoid about everything, but we shouldn't be fearful of those that come to this open land, we should only be careful not fearful.

Yet still so many people still go to this country because of America's IDEALS, because of its freeedom. No matter how much America was scrutinized people will always want to come here because this is their promised land.

I find it funny that after hearing Colin Powell's essay I can still say that this world has become a little bit brighter. Though I wondered what he meant by his last sentences? I didn't really get what he mean, did he mean an America that welcomes guests and treats them well without getting anything in return? That is the only thing I wish was more explanatory.

No comments: